International Policy Assistant - Asia
The Law Society represents solicitors in England and Wales. From negotiating with and lobbying the profession's regulators, government and other decision makers, to offering training and advice, we're here to help, protect and promote solicitors. The International team work to represent, support and promote the interests of our members across the globe.
This wide ranging role is an excellent opportunity for someone with an interest in international business affairs to develop their knowledge and experience.
As a policy assistant you will be responsible for supporting the work of policy advisers across the Asia region.
The role focuses on supporting and promoting the policy work of the Law Society and the expertise of our members to a global audience, engaging with a wide range of international stakeholders including legal professionals, governments, and trade bodies.
What's in it for you:
• work for a prestigious organisation in the legal sector
• opportunity to work with a range of international stakeholders on a variety of political and commercial policy issues
• wide range of experience leading on communications, developing policy and events, and stakeholder engagement
• occasional international travel opportunities
What we're looking for
• a natural communicator, comfortable dealing with senior stakeholders from a wide range of backgrounds
• excellent written communication skills, including with web and social media
• experience working with and drafting policy documents
• an analytical thinker, able to follow UK and international policy developments and spotting opportunities for engagement
• ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to take the initiative
• well organised and good administrative skills
• attention to detail and ability to organise events
• working knowledge of a language spoken in Asia (e.g. Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi, Korean, or Mandarin), desirable
To apply for this role please submit your up to date CV and complete the application form.
An understanding of legal practice and knowledge of the legal environment and the role of the legal profession in it
Relevant experience of working in a policy or business development environment with experience in the relevant area of law/practice/geographical region
Ability to assimilate new issues quickly and analyse complex issues with an understanding of the policy implications of proposals
Ability to research and prepare policy papers and to explain complex issues clearly and concisely
Ability to draft for online communications
Ability to show tact and diplomacy in dealing with a wide range of individuals
Awareness of the interests of others in the organisation
Shows reliability and resilience in difficult circumstances
This opportunity is closed to applicants.